26 March 2009

I'm Gonna Have A Hard Time Explaining This To My HMO.

For about a month I've been having this terrible soreness in my left shoulder. The terrible soreness seemed to accompany my entire left arm, especially my hand, going completely numb whist doing tedious household chores. This issue with my arm has also disrupted my sleep as I have been waking up several times during the night - again with the sore shoulder and pins and needles in my entire arm.

I'd finally had enough of this affliction and made an appointment with my Primary Care Dr. I'd explained the whole shoulder brouhaha to her and she in turn diagnosed me with Cervical Radiculopothy. Say that three times fast.....and no, it is not a condition that is afflicting my cooter.

Cervical Radiculopothy is wherein the nerves in ones neck become inflamed and irritated and in turn affect all the nerves attached to said inflamed nerve and create a nice little downhill path of malfeasance in its wake. ( Does that make sense ?? )

Anyway, my Dr. referred me to physical therapy and gave me a referral to a neurologist - apparently Cervical Radiculopothy is more a neurological condition rather than a primary care Dr. condition.

I saw the Neurologist on Monday. He did all the standard tests....you know.....close your eyes, don't let me push/pull your arms/hands/fingers, turn your head, etc, etc, etc.
He also asked me a series of questions about how I came to acquire this diagnosis. According to him folks don't just appear with CR out of the blue. It is usually caused by some traumatic physical event ( car accidents....falls.....you get the idea...). I really had no memory of any recent traumatic experience. Knock on wood I've been relatively Biff-free for quite some time now.....

He suggested I try the PT and make another appointment to see him if things do not improve.
I've yet to make an appointment with the PT folks, but am planning on giving them a call on Monday.

Still I was plauged by how it was I came to acquire CR. I thought and thought and thought and kept coming up with nothing.
Then it hit me...........

The Mister and I have a very active and ahem.....ahhhh.....athletic....sex life. ( Remember my post about sex after 30.....). Currently we seem to be favoring a position that puts quite a bit of stress on my neck and left shoulder.
Who knew our sex life could be considered traumatic from a Neuro / PT perspective ?

So right after it hit me that our sex life has sent me to PT, I called The Mister. He claims to have no responsibilty in causing my current condition. I feel he should at least accept 50% responsibilty.....or perhaps this should be considered " no fault " as it is 50/50 ???

The Mister felt I should have titled this post " No Boundries with Bunny " - kinda sounds like a show on the Travel Channel, doesn't it ?

Hey, guess where I'm going for the weekend ??????? Three whole days of shopping, drinking, eating and museum-ing HERE. Woo Hoo !!!
I'm sure I'll have many a tale to tell upon my return.

XOXOXO
Bunny

No comments: