15 March 2009

Please Forgive My Long Absence.

I've had a really, really shitty few weeks. I could go on and on, but I'll just get right to the point.

My Grandmother died last Thursday.
It was a long time coming so nobody was really surprised.
She had relentless, aggressive dementia for at least ten years that slowly and agonizingly robbed her of her mind and her body.
I am grieved beyond belief to see her go, but I know she is in a better place where she is free from the burdens of this life - and that is giving me a large measure of peace.

I thought about writing some long tribute to her, but I thought she'd like it if I were short and sweet. So here goes.......

I only had one Grandmother. I was her first, and by her own admission, favorite grandchild.
In her eyes I could do no wrong. Don't misunderstand. Whenever I was misbehaving she certainly put me back in line. But she was always, without question, in my corner and " batting for my team " if you will. She loved me and thought I was perfect just as I was.

For a few days after she died I had been saying that the only person that ever loved me unconditionally was gone. That statement was starting to offend my husband, who also claims to love me unconditionally.
So I've rephrased that statement, and here it is.......

Nobody loved me like she did.

Please enjoy this musical tribute to her.




This is her obituary....


ATTLEBORO - Edna N. Soares, 83 and of Brown Street, Attleboro, a retired bookkeeper, passed away Thursday, March 12, 2009 at home. She was the wife of Joseph Soares.

Born in Pawtucket on Oct. 14, 1925, she was the daughter of the late Joseph and Alice (Lemire) Surprenant. Edna was raised in Pawtucket and was a graduate of Pawtucket East High School, Class of 1944. Edna worked as a bookkeeper for several area businesses. She retired from the Department of Public Welfare in Attleboro years ago.

Joseph and Edna were avid square dancers for over 40 years. She also enjoyed bowling and working in her garden.

Edna is survived by her children: Susan Doty of North Attleboro and Christine Meyer of Smithfield, R.I.; a brother: Wilfred Surprenant of Tyngsboro; and her grandchildren: Erica and her husband Brock Rafferty of Woonsocket, R.I., Alyssa and her husband William Soderquist Jr. of Woonsocket, R.I., Nathan Meyer, Aaron Meyer, and Emma Meyer, all of Smithfield, R.I.

She was the sister of the late Bernard Surprenant.

Visiting hours Monday, March 16, 2009 from 4 to 8 p.m. in the Duffy-Poule Funeral Home, 20 Peck St., Attleboro. A funeral will be conducted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 at 10 a.m. from the Duffy-Poule Funeral Home, followed by a funeral Mass at 11 a.m. in St. Theresa's Church, 18 Baltic St. Attleboro, by Father James Fahey, Pastor.Edna will be laid to rest in Notre Dame Cemetery, Pawtucket.In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions in her memory may be made to: Bristol Elder Services, 1 Father Devalles Blvd., Suite 101, Fall River, MA 02720.

No comments: