27 February 2009

Retro Music Friday - What Little I Know.

We've got three videos this week. I know, where does the fun end here at ADITLOB ?

I used to think that I knew a lot about music. And really, I think I have better knowledge than most about particular genres of music.....by no means am I claiming to know everything. But I sort of got my ass handed to me this week by one of our clients. Not that I minded...I was actually kind of...ok, who am I kidding ?....I was REALLY impressed !

I only work with this particular client ( for very short periods of time )twice a week. I only really had peripheral interactions with this client for a long time. Now that I am working with him on a regular basis I had to win him over, if you will. I need an " in " so to speak. Turns out this client is an OBSESSIVE music collector. I swear he was a Dj in a past life. He has a massive collection of CDs and Vinyl. Crazy massive. You name it and he's probably got it.....somewhere....( this client tends to run a bit on the messy side ). Just two weeks ago we had gotten into a very involved conversation about the merits of older vs. newer Mary J. Blige. So music was going to be my " in ".

Anyway....I had been wearing out my Carly Simon CD this week in the car. So on Monday I was driving this client to the destination of his choosing after we had finished up our To Do list and I was still playing my Carly Simon CD.

This was the conversation that followed;

Client: Carly Simon, huh ?

Me: Yeah, this is her Greatest Hits CD.

C:( puzzled look at the cd player ) This song isn't on her Greatest Hits CD.

M: You're right, I believe this CD is called Reflections.

C: Oh.

M: I love this song, it's my favorite one on here. ( taking my time to totally impress him with my expansive knowledge of 70's soft rock......) I believe this was on Boys In The Trees.

C: Yeah, ( long pause..........) This is a cover of a Doobie Brothers song.

M: ( in disbelief...) Whaa ?

C: Michael McDonald wrote this song.

M: ( continued disbelief ) Whaaaa ??

I made a brief stop in the office afterward and did a little research as I had a few minutes to spare.

Lo and behold he was right and I was blown away. I was sure to let him know later in the week that I was not worthy.


This is Carly Simon's version of You Belong To Me. After much consideration The Mister and I have decided that this is the best version of this song. Look closely at the blonde in the background.....I believe that is Carly's daughter Sally singing back up. This was released in 1978. I was two.



Please forgive the lame version of this video. I could not find a decent vid for this song. This was released in 1977. I was one.



I'm giving you a bonus vid this week too. This is Chaka Khan and Micheal McDonald doing You Belong To Me as a duet. I couldn't pass this up. Released 2007.

Enjoy them all.

XO

Bunny

1 comment:

MMASOOGA said...

Is so great when conversation turns into a journey of learning.