04 February 2009

I Knew There Was Something To This Whole Over 30 Thing.....** UPDATED **

I really didn't think too much about turning 30 at the time of my 30th birthday. As I've said before, it really didn't bother me at all. I didn't feel 30. I certainly didn't ( and still don't, if you don't mind me saying ) look 30.


However about the time I turned 32 there was sort of this shift within me. I can't really explain it to you....but I felt more....me.

I finally felt comfortable in my own skin. It was as if I was shopping for a coat and all the coats I had been trying on weren't quite right and finally I found the right coat.


I've grown to accept, embrace and appreciate many things about myself. For instance, I have a rather large nose. For a long time I HATED my nose. I would have given anything, paid any amount of money to have it removed from my face altogether. But now, meh....it's my nose and as unattractive as I still think it is, I have come to realize that it is not going anywhere anytime soon so I better make the best of it.
And, well..many of you already know this...but...I tend to run a little on the wacky side.
But, it's who I am.

I am more secure in my relationships with many people. I know who truly loves me and I am better able to distinguish whom not to invest too much of myself in.
I've learned that not everything has a yes or no answer....and that sometimes a maybe or an it depends is an OK answer too.

This is me, for better or worse.


At any rate, I came across this article via The Frisky this other day and lo and behold, I am not the only on feeling this way.





Great news for those of us who are 32: we’re totally hot! At least, this is the age we report feeling the most beautiful, anyway. A new survey of 1500 women found that 40% of respondents said they felt most attractive at this age. At 32 women say their life “had the mix of confidence gained from life experience, an active love life and the pleasure of eating and drinking sensibly.” Hmm…do women not have that at 33 anymore? Or at 38, or 43, or 50? While I would hope these things would continue well past 32, some psychologist named Sandra Wheatley says this is “really encouraging” news because it means women are placing value on life experiences and achievements instead of just how shiny there hair is or how perky their boobs are. She told the Daily Mail: “It sounds to me like women are becoming much more swayed by personality. It’s a sign that we are valued for who we are and what we are capable of, not just what is on the surface. Feeling beautiful is tied in with confidence and life experience. At 32, a woman has been through and survived more experiences and achieved more than at 22.”
Yes, but hasn’t she survived even more at 52? Isn’t the real argument here that in addition to the added confidence a woman may have at 32 that she lacked ten years earlier, she actually looks better, too. At that age she still has relatively youthful skin, good hair and a firm body, as
well as a more honed personal style, and larger income to buy quality clothing, pay higher-end hair stylists, and afford those Pilates classes that lengthen her posture. So, sorry Dr. Wheatley, but as much as we value our life experiences and achievements, what’s “on the surface” is still pretty important, too — at least when it comes to how beautiful we feel.

So there it is.

Anyone have any thoughts ?

XO
Bunny

P.S. A big ol' HAPPY BIRTHDAY goes out to my #1 Brother In-Law Billy. He's 36 today.

** I got carded at the liquor store this evening. I was shocked. My mouth dropped when the cashier asked for my ID.
I handed her my license, she looked at it, looked back at me and said " Wow, you had me fooled. "
I was positively giddy.

2 comments:

MMASOOGA said...

You go girl!!!And i'm happy to hear you like your nose. I think it works well with the rest of your face...but that's me.

Erica said...

I'll never love my nose....I've just learned to live with it. LOL!