01 July 2009

Requiem For An Old Lover.

Hi Johnny,


It's me, Bunny. Remember me ? I used to watch you on 21 Jump Street back in the day. You know, the dorky 11 year old girl with the Mrs. Roper perm and the stirrup pants with her face pressed up against the 17" TV in my parents living room ? Yeah, it's me.

It's been a long time Johnny and I gotta say, it's really nice to see you again. I mean, I know we had a long thing...is that a good name for what we had ? A thing ? It doesn't seem to cover the depth emotion between us, does it ? A thing........ Nah, that won't do at all. And a fling just sounds so trivial, you know, it smacks of Stella Getting Her Groove Back. No, no. Fling just sounds so......so cheap and tawdry.
We got history Johnny - you and me. We go back a long, long way.

I've always been there for you and you've never let me down. I know we caught each other's eye during the 21 Jump Street days....me with the bad perm, you with that drug store cowboy leather jacket. God, we were made for each other - it just felt so right. I know you felt it too.....you can't play that off like it was nothing with me. I was there, remember ?
Anyway, then there was What's Eating Gilbert Grape ? Ahhh...Gilbert Grape. I was there Johnny - opening night at the theatre. I even bought it on VHS when it was released.
I've always been a fan of your particular brand of theatrical genius.

Cry Baby ? check
Edward Scissorhands ? check
Benny & Joon ? check
Ed Wood ? check
Donnie Brasco ? DONNIE FREAKIN' BRASCO ! CHECK !

I was there for all of it.
You were like smack to me. I was helpless and addicted.


Yep, we had something Johnny.

But then as things go, we went our separate ways. I had to finish High School and you started dating that klepto skank Winona. Winona Forever.......pfffht. What was that about ? * shakes head * I was deeply saddened to hear about that hotel room you trashed. Gosh, that's just not you Johnny. Really. I knew that whole Winona-Forever-hotel-room-trashing phase was just a cover for the pain you must have felt after we split up. But I expected better from you. I was grateful to have gotten out when I did. Detoxing from you was hard. Long and painful.
But I had the support of really good friends and multiple half gallons of Friendly's Ice Cream to help me get over you.
I went on with my life and you went on with yours. I hear that you have two beautiful children, and I'm so very happy for you. I'm happy too, in case you were wondering. My Hubs is wonderful, I have a beautiful home and great job. I could go on and on.

I'm not quite sure how you pulled it off, but you've wormed your way back into my life. I saw Pirates Of The Carribean. In The Theatre. Yeah, I did. I know you didn't see me, I sat all the way in the back. I knew you were going to be in town and well, I just had to see how you were doing. You looked really great.
But still, the pain was there. It was too tough for me to see the sequels. Too. Hard. Ugh, I just could not do it. I thought it best to stay away. And now that I'm lactose intolerant the multiple half gallons of Friendly's Ice Cream wouldn't have been there to back me up. It would have been too difficult to do this solo.

I saw that you're on the cover of this month's Vanity Fair. Yep, there you were. Staring right back at me from the check out at Target. Beckoning me to throw you in my cart. And I was all, like....No Johnny, I can read the articles for free online. I'm not paying $4.99 for you to come home with me.
And then. Last Friday. Letterman.
Scuba diving with hot dogs ?

Dang It Johnny ! You've got me wrapped around your Gemini finger again ! What am I supposed to do with you ?

And guess what you made me do ? Yeah, I bought the freakin' Vanity Fair at CVS yesterday.
You were giving me " The Eyes ". I started sweating, my heart was racing. It wasn't pretty Johnny. I was a flustered, sputtering mess all over again.

Resistance is futile.
I'll tie up the tourniquet. - just shoot me up Johnny.
I'm yours all over again.


XO
Bunny

No comments: