20 June 2009

Theory Vs. Reality, Ark Building, Missing 80's Pop Stars, Facebook & An Apology.

This morning while sipping back some coffee The Mister and I were watching HGTV ( Holmes On Homes ). As we have many home improvement projects going and more plans coming down the pipe we seem to be tuning into HGTV more and more these days. As many home owners can attest to - working on your house yourself can fill you with a sense of accomplishment that is mighty intoxicating.
I've painted nearly every vertical surface in our house (I'm the painter around here....The Mister ? Not so much. However let it be known that I have never touched the lawnmower. ) and I won't deny it.....when I finish up painting a room I feel like a badass, my ego perhaps inflated a little more than it should be.

There is perhaps one pitfall to HGTV. Although they have many shows devoted to encouraging and/or instructing people on how to do minor weekend-long projects and redecorating their residences - they also seem to fill the viewer with a false sense of oh....Bob Vila-ness. Like " Hey, if these people can rip down their garage and build a new one in a weekend so can we ! "

Perhaps they should have a little scroll cross the bottom of the screen during these biting-off-more-than-you-can-chew segments. It would read; " WARNING ! THIS IS MORE THAN THE AVERAGE JOE CAN HANDLE. PLEASE CONSULT YOUR LOCAL PROFESSIONAL ! "
This morning, between sips of his coffee, The Mister turned to me and said;

" You know, I bet we could rip up the carpets and refinish the hardwoods ourselves. "

As I was raising my coffee cup to my lips I shot him a look.

" No. I am not refinishing the hardwoods with you. "

The Mister was having one of those HGTV inspired YOU CAN DO IT TOO ! moments.

" Why not ? I mean, we'd just have to rent the equipment. "

I had to pull him back to planet Earth.

" No. Do you not see that this will just end with us wanting to kill each other ? "

Clearly he had overestimated my patience level in thinking that I would stand happily by in a face mask during such a task.

" Yeah, I guess you're right. We couldn't enjoy our hardwood floors ' cause we'd both be dead. "

The mark of a fully realized couple, I think, is knowing what your collective limits are.
Ours happen to be hardwood floors.

Redoing hardwoods in theory ? Great Idea !
Redoing hardwoods in reality ? Two thumbs down.

________________________________________

As I wrote yesterday, it has done nothing but rain for days on end. This morning we checked the extended 10-day forecast online and guess what ? More rain. Rain every day until next Saturday.
As you can Google just about anything - I'm going to Google " How to build an Ark ".

________________________________________

What ever happened to Jody Watley ? Does anyone know ?
________________________________________

The Mister has discovered Facebook. He seems to be having a great time with it. He's reconnected with many old friends and linked up with far-away cousins. Good times. I happen to be voyeuristically peeking into the lives of people ( mostly people I went to HS with ) via his Facebook page. It is amazing who turns up on Facebook ! People I had long since forgotten about. I sat in front of the computer last night with my mouth totally agape for the better part of 45 minutes saying things like;

" SHUT UP ! NO WAY ! THOSE TWO GOT MARRIED ??! "

and

" OH MY GOD ! THEY LOOK OLD ! "

and

" NO FREAKIN' WAY ! LOOKIT HOW MANY KIDS HE/SHE/THEY HAS / HAVE ! "

and

" HOLY CRAP ! I KNEW HE/SHE WAS GAY ! "

Ahhh yes. Facebook. It's like going to your HS reunion without the forced exchange of pleasantries, awkward conversational pauses, momentary loss of self confidence and overcooked family-style chicken.

___________________________________________

And now I have to issue an apology to those folks I may have drunk dialed and/ or sent odd pics and texts to last night.

I can't remember who exactly I called and / or texted last night. But I'm pretty sure it was the usual suspects.

My sister.
Trix.
Steph.
and
Mumbles Mile.

If they made a coffee cup that read #1 Drunk Dialer - my sister would have purchased it for me a long time ago.

Sorry all. Please accept my humble apologies. And if I've left anyone off the list - again, so, so sorry.


XO
Bunny

No comments: