09 October 2008

Parrot.

OK, so I have this client that I particularly enjoy.
She is the bright, shining light on my caseload.
She is a joy and a delight.
As a matter of fact, everyone enjoys this particular client.
Well, everyone except one person and really that just BLOWS MY MIND.

I'm all like, " Dude, for real ? How could you not LOVE her !?"
Whatever.......her loss.


I took this particular client out shopping after a Dr. appointment today. Her ( bamboo ) purse handle had broken on Tuesday and she needed a new handbag. I could not let her walk around with that lame excuse for a purse for one more day.
So it was off to Marshall's we go.

Now I should preface this by saying that this client rehashes conversations to herself. Aloud and in public.
Only these conversations are imaginary and exist only in her head.
They're not conversations that have actually happened.
Sounds crazy, I know. It is actually really kind of cute and endearing.

I've tried to make this client a little more decisive as I've worked with her. In the past she would not have an opinion on anything. At all. Ever.
Now....my God. She's actually deciding what she wants to have for dinner at the pizza shop.
I know this may sound insignificant to you guys, but believe me when I say this is MAJOR PROGRESS.

At any rate. As I was saying, we went to Marshall's this afternoon.
I told her that she needed to find the handbags in the store and pick one out.
Meaning that I wanted her to walk to the display of handbags and that I would follow her.
This resulted in us standing in the front of Marshall's with her staring blankly at me for about two minutes.
Clearly she does not feel comfortable with me following her.
I know...more progress is yet to be made.

After I decided that I was tired of standing in the front of Marshall's I decided to walk and sure enough, she began to shuffle along behind me.

Then the imaginary conversation to herself started.
Now bear in mind, she not actually talking to me. I realize that it may appear rude to those not familiar that I do not engage her when she is yammering on and on like that.
These little conversations she has are more of a self soothing tactic on her part.
So I just let her talk.

Is it bizarre that I completely disregard ( not in a bad way ) people shuffling along behind me talking to themselves about things that have never actually happened ?
Have I been living in the monkey house too long ?

I digress.


This was the imaginary conversation this afternoon.

" My mother was really upset that my purse handle broke. And then I told my mom that it broke on the hayride and that M---( my boss ) broke it and my mom was really upset and I said it's ok mom, it's only a purse and I can buy a new one with Bunny at the store Marshall's and mom was still upset and I said it's ok mom, you'll just have to let it go......"

Have to let it go?
I thought my ears were playing tricks on me.
I'm all like, did she just say " let it go.." ?

Then it dawned on me.

I say " let it go" all the time.

Holy Crap.
She's repeating what I say.
And it's pretty damn funny.
I had to call someone and tell them what just happened.

She did get a new purse. And it is really quite fashionable.

XOO
Bunny

No comments: