21 August 2007

Is Jackie Chan All There Is ?

I took some of my clients to see Rush Hour 3 on Sunday, ( if you're planning on seeing Rush Hour 3 let me give you a piece of advice...just see Rush Hour 1 three times..)
and it got me to thinking. When our, as of yet non-existent, child grows up whom will she identify with ? Who will she see and say " Gee, fill in the blank is just like me. " ?

Don't misunderstand me. Our agency does a great job at bringing children together for this very reason, and we have scoped out Chinatown in Boston and are beginning to get a handle on Chinese culture and holidays.
In no way do we want to short change her or deny her heritage.
But....in her day to day life how will she fare ? Will she seek out people who look like her ? Will she identify with these people more so than she will us ? Maybe it won't even occur to her.

The thing I fear most is that when she does see people who look like her on TV or in movies, they are either martial arts experts, gangsters, doctors or scientists. The stereotypes for Asian people never deviates much from those roles. And really, can you think of any other famous Chinese people besides Jackie Chan ????

I think our plan is, for now anyway, is to expose her to as much Chinese culture as we can while she is young. And as she ages,and is more able to think for herself,we'll take our ques from her.


At any rate, I changed my ticker at the bottom of the page. I felt I was not being truthful with myself ( or you guys ) with the way it was set up. Previously I had it set to begin counting from the day our dossier was mailed to the China Center of Adoption Affairs. I reset it to count from the date we were actually logged in. In adoption lingo DTC is the date your dossier is mailed to China. LID is the date which your dossier was formally received and your name goes on the list.
Our DTC date was March 2, 2007
Our LID was March 21, 2007
So, today is 5 whole months of waiting.

And for educational purposes...I found two pictures of the Matching Room at the CCAA. The Matching Room is the room that, when your name gets to the top of the list, you are matched with a baby. I've heard rumors that the matching process is very scientific, using Chinese astrology. I've also heard that they look at the faces of the perspective adoptive parents and try to find a baby that " looks " like them. I've also heard that the whole process is very random and none of the above is true. So who knows the real truth.
But our dossier is ( perhaps ) located in this room.

Look at all of those dossiers !

Here's to FIVE whole months.

XXOO
Bunny
P.S.
Red, you said it man ! You said it.

No comments: