31 January 2009

Treadmill Widow.

The Man's treadmill was delivered yesterday.
He is so happy he is nearly beside himself.
He spent nearly three hours in the basement putting it together yesterday.
Then he appeared in the kitchen in his running clothes and disappeared for another hour.

I am...The Treadmill Widow.

I'm happy he finally got his treadmill. I really am.
Now I can stop hearing about how badly he wants a treadmill, 'cause really.....( whispers ) he was starting to drive me a little bit nuts with all the treadmill talk.

OK, moving on......

Way back when..when Therese and I were in college and then when we lived in Indianapolis we were both very frugal ( cough cough.....not a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of..cough cough...).
We would compare deals that we got at different stores, coupons, etc.
And if we got the deal of the century we would call it " robbing " said store.
Now, keep in mind we never actually " robbed " anyone.
Well, except maybe the Winn Dixie in Charleston, SC....but I think both Trix and I have more than made up for that little felonious transgression with subsequent humanitarian acts...

OK, where was I going with this.....oh yeah....

Brock and I totally robbed Shaws last night.

Let me back up a bit.
Seeing as how we are now homeowners we have ourselves on sort of a self-imposed food stamp program.
We used to pay nearly nothing in rent for the dump we used to reside in so we ate what we wanted....bought whatever groceries we wanted regardless of price. You get the picture.
But now...we eat leftovers...on a regular basis.

I get all the different grocery store ads in my mailbox at the end of the week. I used to throw those in the recycle bin...little did I realize that there is a veritable treasure trove of deals in those fliers.

I map out my list with the fliers and I'm not afraid to go to more than one store.
Store loyalty ? Not in this economy my friend !

Anyway....imagine my delight when I saw that Shaws had Purdue boneless chicken breast on sale for $1.88 / lb for three days only ! WOOO HOOOO !!!

Brock and I went out to get some household stuff last night @ Target and then when we got back in the car I informed him that we had to go to Shaws. He put up a little bit of a fuss ( he was tired from all the treadmill activity of that morning ) but I calmly explained to him that DAMN IT, THERE WAS PURDUE BONELESS CHICKEN ON SALE FOR $1.88 A POUND ! WE WERE NOT GOING TO MISS THIS !

So we went to Shaws.
I bought three, three lb packages of boneless chicken for oh...maybe fifteen bucks. That's a deal, right ? You all with me on this one ?

It gets better....

There were coupons stuck to the front of the chicken packages for French's fried onions and Campbell's soup with a recipe attached.
I figured that since I was already getting a deal on the chicken I wasn't going to be too disappointed that I could not use the coupon as I had no intention of buying either of those products.

As a little aside here..Coke 12 pks were 4 / $10 with an in-store coupon for two free two liters of Coke Zero w/' purchase of the 4 12pks. Only there was no Coke Zero to be had anywhere in Shaws. I guess the early bird gets the Coke Zero...haha !

So we get to the checkout and I ask the cashier if we can substitute another Coke product for the Coke Zero and she said sure...so I ran back ( leaving Brock with the cart while she's ringing our groceries) to the soda aisle to grab the two 2 liters.
When I got back to the checkout I see her scanning coupons.....and I'm thinking to myself...." I didn't have any coupons....WTF is she doing ? "
I look over at Brock, who is sporting the most magnificent shit-eating grin.
Then I realize.....SHE'S SCANNING THE COUPONS FROM THE FRONT OF THE CHICKEN PACKAGES....FOR STUFF WE'RE NOT EVEN BUYING !

Wait, it gets better;

SHE DOUBLED THE COUPONS !

Brock and I ran out of the store giggling like two little kids.
I swear we burned rubber out the parking lot.

All told...with all the other things we purchased...we got $96 worth of groceries for $45.

We got home and busted out the calculator...damn it we had to know how much we actually ended up paying for the chicken....which ended up being about $1.35 / lb.

I also sort of robbed Old Navy yesterday too. I bought a really cute summer dress, but I changed my mind about the color. So I wanted to exchange it for a different color. Only I didn't exchange it at the same store I bought it at. Turns out the store I exchanged it at had them cheaper than I purchased it for, so I got almost a $10 credit. And seeing as how all the clearance rack stuff was an additional 50% off....I got Capri's, a skirt and jammie bottoms for free.

OK, that was entire too long of a story about chicken and Old Navy.

Thanks for indulging me.

Have a great day !

XO
Bunny

1 comment:

MMASOOGA said...

What!!! I love when stuff like that happens. Everyone needs great deals in this economy.
How was the chicken dinner?