08 October 2007

The Most Wretched Smell On Earth.

This, my friends, is a Durian fruit. It is referred to as " the king of fruits " You can read about it here.
The Mister and I have seen segments on TV about this. Bizarre Foods host Andrew Zimmern had proclaimed it to be the most foul smelling thing on earth. A more complete description of its unique odor can be found below. This picture is a deceiving as a durian fruit is about the size of a football.


... its odor is best described as pig-shit, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away. Despite its great local popularity, the raw fruit is forbidden from some establishments such as hotels, subways and airports, including public transportation in Southeast Asia.

The Mister and I went on a field trip to the Super 88 market this afternoon and saw these..... ( BTW, I love the fact that the Super 88's slogan is " Eat The World " )

Take a closer look......yep.....that says Durian Fruit.

We purchased these cookies.
(Are we nuts ? Ummm..probably so. )
We took these cookies home and opened the package.
We both gagged after we opened the packed.
Then we had our own little episode of Bizarre Foods with Brock and Erica Rafferty.
I held both my nose and The Mister's nose shut as he ate a piece of one of these cookies.
He said the taste not nearly as offensive as the smell.
His exact words were " Cow shit I can get used to, but that's just nasty. "
We elected not to keep them as the God-awful smell far outweighed the tastiness of them.
The only thing I can really think of that comes close to this smell was a bag of Uncle Ben's microwave rice I bought a long time ago that had gone bad...it did not smell until I opened the bag. Wooooh....was that nas-ty.
They are now in the garbage. More specifically, tied up in the garbage, outside. It was a total waste of .99 cents...but totally worth it for this entertaining blog post.
I bought the same brand of cookie in coconut flavor. Those were quite tasty and are not in the garbage.
We also bought lychee and strawberry flavored gummy candies....( not lychee and strawberry together, they were in two different bags ) they were also quite tasty.
Oh yeah, my sister got married yesterday. I will have pics after 10/21 and will post them after that.
GO CLEVELAND !!!!!
XO
Bunny.

No comments: