11 April 2008

Retro Music Friday - My 1st 45.









In my younger days my mother frequently took my sister and I shopping at Ann & Hope.The best part about our trips to Ann & Hope was that we both got to pick out one 45 to buy at the end of our shopping trip.

I think at that time 45's were fifty cents - in my mother's eyes I think the fifty cents was a small price to pay for us to 1) be motivated to behave in the store and 2) was a cheaper alternative to candy, which we didn't get much of anyway as kids ( the exception being Sweet Tarts ).

The very first 45 I just HAD TO HAVE was Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham. I was in love with this song from the first day I heard it on the radio - in fact, I still love this song and it's on my Zune.

The funny thing about Wham is that looking back on it now how could we not have seen that George Michael was so totally gay? I mean, women loved him - and he was cute - but when you see the video now you're like " HOLY CRAP HE'S SO GAY !! " Not that it matters, but I'm just saying.

But I suppose one doesn't think about these things when you're 8 years old. Which I was when this song came out in November of 1984.

For extra credit can anyone name the other half of Wham ? Anyone ? Anyone?

The answer is listed below.

In a somewhat related story; Brock and I were thinking up this whole elaborate gag were were going to pull at Thanksgiving this past year. We were going to get all dressed up in 80's band T-shirts and go to T'giving dinner in them. Target was selling retro t-shirts in the jr. girl's dept at the time - which gave us the idea.

We also thought about pegging our pants ( come on, you know you all did it ! ) and I was going to tease up my hair really high. The plan was that we were going to act all serious and whatnot, if not to make our family laugh then at least to get a good giggle out of it for ourselves. I'm sure we would have been a sight to behold. We didn't end up pulling it off though. Brock wanted a Guns n' Roses Appetite for Destruction shirt and I wanted the CHOOSE LIFE shirt from the Wham video, but they seemed to be tremendously hard to come by. I did see a FRANKIE SAYS RELAX shirt in Target, but it wasn't in my size.

Beware the next time any of you invite us over for a holiday...LOL !

XO

Bunny

P.S. The other half of Wham was Andrew Ridgeley.





No comments: