03 April 2008

Flaky Katie.

Brock and I had perhaps the worst dining experience we've ever had in our lives tonight at Bertucci's.

Let me backtrack a bit here.....Bertucci's was always our old stand by. Great food, great service, reasonable prices. However I think they've become a victim of too big too fast. They've been adding new locations like crazy and both the food and service had suffered because of it.
The last time we ate there the food was average at best and the service was inconsistent.

Tonight however was a real gem. We had the Flaky Katie experience. First off, we got seated right away - always a good sign. We were given menus - great ! Then we proceeded to wait for Katie for almost 20 minutes to even come to the table and give us a " Hi my is Katie, I'll be taking care of you tonight. " which she followed up with " and I'll be right back. "
And she took off for another 10 minutes. No rolls, no water....... " I'll be right back "

Katie then graced us with her presence again to take our order. By this time I think we both had the menu memorized and we figured since she was at the table we should just get all of our ordering out of the way...who knows when she would return, or if she would even remember that we were seated in her section.
Katie takes our order and leaves.....still no rolls or water.
Katie comes back at least 5 minutes later with a dish of olive oil for the rolls that we still don't have.
Katie leaves again.
Another 5 goes by, Katie comes back with rolls. And then her mouth opened again and what came out of it blew. our. minds.
" Mmmkay.. ( giggle ) the rolls are like..all the way over there ( she points over her shoulder )
and like the oil is all the way over there ( pointing over the other shoulder ) ( another giggle ) .....this is hard. "
We are stunned.
Rolls + oil = hard.

Still no drinks.

Katie leaves again.

Brock waits until Katie is out of ear shot and says " Another one of the unemployable employed by Bertucci's"
I'm starting to have a little sympathy for Katie because I'm beginning to think that she is perhaps learning disabled.

Several more minutes go by.
Katie comes back with water and Brock's beer.

3 more minutes go by.
All of our food comes at the same time and we've not even had enough time to finish one roll each.
Katie disappears for at least 25 more minutes.
At one point she proceeded to have a conversation with the two ladies seated at the table next to us. I can assure you that the meaningless drivel that spewed from her mouth to them was equal to the rolls + oil = hard comment she made to us. I figured better them than us ' cause Brock's fuse with stupid is real short.
Brock waits until she's out of ear shot again.
" Clearly she's a mensa candidate "

By this time I'm beginning to find the whole situation amusing.

Katie reappears to two very clearly empty plates on our table. " How is everything ? Can I get you anything else ? "
We say no, we're fine thankyouverymuch. Katie then assess the situation at our table and decided that I needed a refill on my water.
So there we are, sitting at a table with very clearly empty dishes and a nicely refilled water.
I'm sure you can all guess what happened next...yep, Katie vanishes again.

I spy her at another table. I can't hear what she's saying to them, but I'm positive it was pretty lame.
I ask Brock " Do ya think that Katie is the waitress that bangs the chef in the walk-in cooler after closing time ? "

To which Brock replies " Only if he's got a huge bag of weed. "

Finally Katie reappears with the check. Thank g*d 'cause my butt was falling asleep I was sitting so long.
I threaten Brock within an inch of his life if he left her a tip. Which he did. And then we ran out of there like our asses were on fire.

It will be a long, long, long time ( if ever ) before we go back there again.

XO
Bunny

P.S. Sox start opening season week 3 for 4. Woo Hoo !


No comments: